Office of Accessibility Resources & Services

provide. coordinate. advocate.

Academic Accommodations

When appropriate, reasonable academic accommodations will be made. It is generally considered non-discriminatory to adhere to academic standards that are essential to a course of study (i.e.: setting a grade point average requirement for admission to a particular program). Requests for academic accommodations must be made in a timely manner. All requests for services should be made directly to the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS). Academic adjustments must be supported by the documentation and may include the following:



Under construction…

Testing Accommodations


Initiating the testing accommodation procedure is the responsibility of the student. Testing accommodations may include extended time, scribe, computer for written exams, use of a spell checking device, calculator, readers, and accessible test formats such as Braille and enlarged print. Unless there is a time conflict, tests will be scheduled at the same time as the rest of the class. A student who misses a test or exam scheduled with OARS will be required to notify the faculty member. OARS is not able to reschedule exams. Rescheduling of exams is the responsibility of, and should be initiated by, the student in consultation with the faculty member, and a faculty member must approve the rescheduling. A student who is late for a scheduled exam must finish the test in the time remaining (extended time will be calculated from the scheduled time of the test, not the time of arrival). Final exams will only be rescheduled in accordance with university policy.

Classroom Accommodations

Classroom accommodations may include but are not limited to: sign language interpretation; assistive listening devices; accessible technology for note-taking; preferential seating, and accommodated testing. Students receiving in-class support services must attend classes on a regular basis or risk losing those services.

Foreign Language Requirement


UNC-Greensboro and the Department of Romance Languages recognize the importance of providing options and accommodations for students with special needs. For this reason, the Department of Romance Languages offers a Modified Foreign Language (MFL) Program in Spanish. Sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences, the MFL Program in Spanish is designed to meet the needs of foreign language students who, because of their learning differences or disabilities, are unable to complete their foreign language requirement through traditional means. The MFL Program in Spanish is intended to assist students with a demonstrated need to achieve their goals and meet their curricular demands by providing more individualized instruction in the target language along with academic advising, close monitoring of progress, and student assistance in understanding specific learning needs.


The MFL Program in Spanish is available for students with documented learning disabilities and/or students with demonstrable long-standing difficulties learning a foreign language. Inclusion in the MFL Program is based on documented need and seat availability. Registration in the Office of Disability Services does not automatically qualify a student for inclusion in the MFL Program.,

  • Early in their program of study students registered with the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services are encouraged to inquire about the program with their counselors.
  • Registration in the MFL Program requires written permission from the Department of Romance Languages, and students must follow the Department of Romance Languages application procedures for the MFL Program.
  • Once students have gathered materials and documents necessary for the MFL application they should meet with their OARS counselor to write a letter of support from the OARS.

Brochures, further information and application procedures regarding the MFL Program in Spanish may be obtained from OARS staff, or students may contact the Department of Romance Languages directly (336-334-5655).

Degree Requirement Modification


Students are expected to complete all degree requirements for graduation in their major. The ADA requires that universities offer reasonable accommodations to qualified students; however, it does not require the adjustment of standards that would fundamentally alter degree requirements.


If a student deems it necessary to request deviation from the prescribed course of study, the student should consult the dean of the college or school, or the chairperson of the department of the student’s major. Any deviations from the applicable published degree requirements must have the approval of the appropriate departmental chairperson or school dean and the approval of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies.